Georganics - Silk Dental Floss - Spearmint
Sorry, currently out of stock
- 100% NATURAL SILK: This natural floss is designed to remove food particles hiding in places where your toothbrush can’t reach
- EASY TO USE AND CARRY: Take your dental floss wherever you go to keep up your healthy oral routine. Gently pull out 30cm of string and slowly floss between each tooth, reaching as close to the gum line as possible
- 30 METRES OF FLOSS: Georganics Natural Floss is designed to last around 100 applications. When you are out simply order a refill and pop it in the reusable glass flint which can be used again and again
- VEGAN + CRUELTY-FREE: We use food grade certified and natural ingredients for all our products. The gluten and plastic-free dental floss is coated with 100% natural vegan Candelilla wax, which is food-grade and sustainably obtained
- RECYCLABLE + BIODEGRADABLE: We are completely dedicated to reducing our environmental impact. All our floss comes in a reusable glass flint, with a metal cap dispenser, and packaged in a fully compostable, plastic-free kraft box
Why should I use dental floss?
We all know that brushing our teeth is integral for clean and healthy teeth but what about the areas of our mouth that a toothbrush can’t reach? Flossing enables us to reach those otherwise unreachable areas in our mouth, getting in to the crevices between gum and teeth where small pieces of food can become lodged. Plaque is formed from leftover food in combination with natural bacteria found in the mouth. Over time plaque hardens to tartar, which can only be removed with a visit to the dentist. To avoid unnecessary dental bills and to maintain a healthy mouth, flossing daily is recommended by dentists.
Why Silk Floss?
In 1815 a New Orleans dentist started suggesting flossing with waxed silken thread to his patients. Dr. Levi Spear Parmly went on to write a book encouraging everyone to brush their teeth twice a day and floss once a day. At the time the silken thread was easily available as a tailoring thread.
As demand grew for floss, companies started to mass produce silk thread exclusively as a dental floss. During World War II the cost of silk skyrocketed and silk dental floss became too expensive to produce and sell. Around the same time Nylon started to replace silk stockings and before long dental floss was also made of nylon, a cheap plastic alternative to silk.
Fast forward to modern day and it is estimated that the amount of dental floss sold in the US each year could span the distance from the earth to the moon and back four times! Although nylon is cheap it is environmentally harmful being a petroleum based product that is not biodegradable. Silk floss is 100% natural and biodegradable
Why Waxed Floss?
Waxed floss provides a softer more gentle experience as well as the added benefits from Georganics' wax coatings.
Georganics silk floss is coated with a blend of candelilla wax and cardamon (also known as cardamom) essential oil. Candelilla wax is extracted from the wax coated leaves of the small candelilla shrub and is completely natural and food grade.
The soft texture of the candelilla wax is combined with the antibacterial properties of cardamom essential oil. Chewing on cardamon seeds was once an Ayurvedic tradition and more recent research has discovered that while cardamom removes the bad bacteria found in the mouth it leaves the good probiotic bacteria behind, essential for overall health. The cardamon essential oil adds a subtle minty taste to the floss.
Many waxed flosses are coated with Teflon or petrolemeum, both considered highly toxic. Georganics dental floss is 100 % safe and natural.